University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution : and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of Baltimore,   pp. 113-118


Page 116

REMARKABLE MANUFACTORIES OF BALTIMORE.
chinery, and are now constructing a new series of different styles of
coal and wood burning engines, both freight and passenger.
The gentlemen composing this enterprising firm are J. H. Hayward,
D. L. Bartlett, and H. W. Robbins.
The Abbott Iron Company's Mills,
Near Baltimore, are among the largest and most celebrated Rolling-
Mills in the United States. They are. four in number, with another in
course of erection, which it is intended shall be second to none in the
completeness of its appointments. The original mill, built by Horace
Abbott, in 1850, for rolling Plate and Boiler Iron, contains four heat-
ing and two puddling furnaces, a pair of eight feet plate rolls, and a
train of muck rolls. At the time of its erection this Mill was larger
than any before attempted in this country, and predictions were freely
made that it would ruin its originator. Mill No. 2, completed in 1857,
contains three heating and two puddling furnaces, a Nasmyth steam-
hammer, one pair of eight feet and one pair of ten feet rolls-the latter
being the longest plate rolls ever made in this country. Mill No. 3,
built by Mr. Abbott in 1858, for manufacturing thin plates for Gas
Pipe, Boiler Tubes, etc., contains two heating furnaces, and a pair of
five feet rolls.
Mill No. 4, completed in the summer of 1861, contains three heating
and four double puddling furnaces, a pair of ten feet rolls, a pair of
" breaking down" rolls, a Nasmyth hammer, and other machinery, of
the most approved and substantial character.
It was at these Mills that the armor plates for the original " Monitor"
were made, which protected that little vessel from the shot and shell
of her enemy so effectually that not a plate was pierced or injured.
When Captain Ericsson had originated this form of iron-clad, he was
apprehensive this country possessed no mills of sufficient capacity to
furnish the Armor Plates of the requisite thickness and dimensions, and
supposed he would be compelled to import them from England. Before
doing so, however, he applied to Mr. Abbott, who at once agreed to
undertake their manufacture, and completed the order in a shorter time
than was anticipated. Had the completion of the Monitor been de-
layed, as it might have been, by the necessity of sending abroad for her
armor plates, there would have been no obstacle to prevent the Rebel
ram " Merrimac" from destroying our wooden fleet, and blockading the
city of New York. Mr. Abbott subsequently furnished the armor
plates for nearly all the vessels of the Monitor class built on the
11 IC


Go up to Top of Page