University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution ; and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of Pittsburgh,   pp. 96-112


Page 107

THE PITTSBURGH COPPER-WORKS.
The Pittsburgh Copper and Brass Works,
Owned by Dr. C. G. Hussey and ion. Thomas M. Howe, is another
notable establishment, and the first of the kind built west of the Alle-
gheny mountains. The Works were erected in the year 1850, and are
located on the bank of the Monongahela river, in the immediate sub-
urbs of the city. All descriptions of rolled and pressed copper are
made here from ore obtained in the mines of Lake Superior, in two of
the most prominent of which, viz.: the " Cliff " and " National," the
proprietors of these Works are largely interested, and of which they are
also officers and mahagers. As this was the first establishment pro-
jected for working exclusively American copper, and as the'senior part-
ner was one of the first successful explorers and adventurers in the
copper regions of Lake Superior, his history is that of a pioneer in the
development of what has become an important element of national
wealth.
The attention of Dr. C. G. Hussey was attracted to the Lake Supe-
rior region in the summer of 1843, immediately following the consumma-
tion of the Chippewa Treaty, which extinguished the possessory claims
of the numerous tribes of Indians known by that name, and he dis-
patched thereto during the same season a small party to make the neces-
sary examinations preliminary to the organization of a regular mining
force, if their report should be favorable. In the summer of 1844, he
visited the region himself, and under his directions was commenced the
first mining shaft, which was sunk in the vicinity of what is now known
as " Copper Harbor," on a tract selected in pursuance of the first per-
mit to locate lands issued by the United States Government. In the
following summer, regular mining operations were commenced by the
company originated by Dr. Hussey, and known as the " Pittsburgh and
Boston Mining Company," of which he is now the President, on the
second tract selected in that region, and upon which is located the cel-
ebrated " Cliff Mine." This mine was the first to give character to the
section as a reliable and remunerating copper producing district, and
up to this time it has produced more than seven millions of dollars'
worth of copper, and paid to its stockholders a sum exceeding two
millions of dollars.
The Pittsburgh Copper-Works, it will thus be perceived, are the
proper and legitimate outgrowth of the extensive and profitable mining
enterprizes with which its proprietors have been long and intimately
associated.
The ore is brought from the mines in solid masses of native copper,
1o0,


Go up to Top of Page