University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution ; and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Remarkable manufacturing establishments in Philadelphia,   pp. 18-95


Page 81

FREDERICK LAUER'S BREWERY.
At Reading, fifty-eight miles from Philadelphia, is another exten-
sive and celebrated Brewery, known as
Frederick Lauer's Brewery.
The main building is of brick, three stories high, having a front of
one hundred feet, and a depth of one hundred and fifty feet, with a
garden attached that occupies the entire remaining portion of a block
four hundred by two hundred and forty feet. The cellars underneath
are arched, and in them are four springs of excellent water, having a re-
markable flow, which is forced by means of a steam pump into reser-
voirs, and used for brewing fine Ales. An engine of thirty horse-
power propels the machinery, elevates the barley and malt, and works
the apparatus in the mash tuns. The Brewery is provided with all the
necessary puncheons, refrigerators, fermenting tuns, etc., usual in such
establishments, and has a capacity for producing forty-five thousand
barrels of malt liquors annually. The fermenting tuns will hold about
thirty thousand gallons.  Under the Brewery are vaults capable of
storing two thousand barrels; but which are used only for racking
and storing the liquor that is intended for immediate consumption.
Attached to the Brewery is a malt house, which it is proposed to enlarge
at an early day.
Besides the garden already mentioned, which contains a fountain
and a fish-pond that is supplied with water from springs in the Brewery,
Mr. Lauer, adopting the Russian or Berlin system, has a park of six
acres of ground with a handsomely fitted up, shaded house, having a
veranda its entire length, and an observatory from which a fine view
of the city can be had.  Here are vaults quarried from solid limestone
rock, for storing Stock Ale, Brown Stout, and Lager Beer, and having
a capacity for storing seven thousand barrels.  Here, also, is an
artesian well, which has attained a depth of two thousand feet, and
though unfinished, has already cost $22,000. The water obtained from
it is said to possess superior medicinal properties ; but it is proposed
to prosecute operations until a fountain of spouting water is obtained.
This Brewery was established in 1826, by the father of the present
proprietor, who emigrated to this country in 1823, from Gleissweiler,
near the Fortress Landau, in the Palatine. Its entire capacity in the
beginning was not more than seven barrels a day, and for several years
nothing was brewed here but what is known as the ordinary strong
beer. In 1831, the brewing of ale and porter was commenced, and
four years subsequently, the business passed into the hands of the son,
81


Go up to Top of Page