University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution : and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

The great tobacco manufactories,   pp. 511-532


Page 523

THE LEWIS TOBACCO WORKS.
Union. The great Valley of the Mississippi, California, the Indians of
the Plains, New England, and Texas, were all large consumers. These
firms were now working into Plug and Fine Cut Tobacco from three to
four million pounds annually, besides exporting large quantities of Leaf
and Strips to Great Britain and the Continent of Europe. When the
late war commenced they were employing between four and five hundred
operatives-those at Glasgow being for the most part colored people
held to service, about one hundred and twenty-five of whom were
owned by the partners. In May, 1862, the Glasgow manufactory was
again destroyed by fire, and its destruction at this time was thought
by many to have been caused by those in sympathy with the Rebellion,
the unswerving loyalty of Mr. Lewis and his partners being considered,
by the more unscrupulous of those who had thrown off their allegiance
to the government, sufficient justification for a resort to extreme mea-
sures. The destruction of the manufactory, and the advance of the
Confederate forces under General Sterling Price, induced the Glasgow
firm to transfer to St. Louis and New York all the remaining stock
saved from the fire, where it was subsequently disposed of at a con-
siderable sacrifice. The loss by this fire was between one hundred and
fifty and two hundred thousand dollars. The unsettled state of affairs
prevented the immediate rearection of the Works.
On the 18th of August following, Governor Gamble commissioned
Mr. Thomas J. Bartholomew a Colonel, and ordered him to organize a
regiment of militia in Howard and Randolph counties, and to put it
into immediate service. Mr. James W. Lewis at once enlisted and
organized Company A of this regiment, and was commissione Captain.
By the 25th of September the regiment was mustered into service, and
subsequently rendered valuable aid to the Union cause. In December
Colonel Bartholomew was promoted to be a Brigadier-General, and
assigned to the command of a district comprising twenty-five counties
in Northeast Missouri, with headquarters at Glasgow. Captain Lewis
was also at the same time promoted to be Major, and assigned to duty on
General Bartholomew's staff. So devoted were thesc gentlemen to the
service of the country, that for nearly two years they absented them-
selves entirely from their regular pursuit.
In January, 1863, General Bartholomew retired from the firm. The
remaining partners then rebuilt the factory, and prosecuted the busi-
ness until the death of Mr. Benjamin W. Lewis, when Major James
W. Lewis, the surviving partner, assumed the entire control, and is
noW conducting the business in the same name and style as before-B.
W. Lewis & Brothers-and is the sole owner of the business, besides
523


Go up to Top of Page