University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution : and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

The great tobacco manufactories,   pp. 511-532


Page 514

THE GREAT TOBACCO MANUFACTORIES.
A. H. Mickle & Sons,
Successors to Mrs. G. B. Miller, who achieved the distinction, rare for
a woman, of identifying her name with an article that is now a com-
mercial staple, and whose influence is still felt in a trade that is now
not only a source of vast individual wealth, but of national revenue.
In the year 1776, George Benjamin Miller came to the city of New
York from Philadelphia, the place of his birth, and commenced the
manufacture of Plug Tobacco and Snuff at No. 110 Water street, near
Wall. He had two brothers who entered the army of the Revolution
under Washington, one of whom fell at the battle of Trenton, the other,
after the war, was for a time associated with George Benjamin Miller
in business. About the year 1790, George Benjamin Miller died, leav-
ing a wife and one son, the latter inheriting his father's name.
On the death of her husband, Mrs. Miller assumed the management;
commencing at the same time the manufacture of those brands of Fine
Cut chewing and smoking Tobacco, which have made the establish-
ment so famous, and so continued under her own name until her second
marriage, when, her son being of age, the business was conducted in
his name, Mrs. Miller retaining her interest and control as before. The
second G. B. Miller married Miss Rachel Navaro, whom, at an early
age, he left a widow with one daughter, Miss Caroline Augusta Miller,
afterwards the wife of Mr. A. H. Mickle, late Mayor of New York.
Mr. Mickle having become interested in the business, the firm name
became Mrs. G. B. Miller & Co., and so continued until the death of
Mrs. Miller, which happened in 1848, when it was changed to A. H.
Mickle, successor to Mrs. G. B. Miller & Co., and subsequently to A.
H. Mickle & Sons, under which style the business is now conducted by
William E. Lawrence, son-in-law, and George Benjamin Mickle, who
is now the sole representative of the family, and son of Mr. A. H. Mickle.
As will be seen by the genealogy here given, the founder of this
house was singularly fortunate in her family connections; her suc-
cessors being near relations, and all trained under her immediate super-
vision, and to this fact, as well as to the fidelity with which they have
uniformly followed her practice and precepts, the perpetuity for such a
length of time and the unparalelled success of the establishment are in
some degree attributable. Though not the originator of Fine Cut
Chewing Tobacco, Mrs. Miller was one of the first to adopt the new
discovery, and but for the improvements introduced by her in the mode
of manufacture and the quality of the material employed, it is a ques-
tion if, with the opposition which the innovation encountered, it would
514


Go up to Top of Page