University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution ; and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

The great hat manufactories of the United States,   pp. 496-510 ff.


Page 507

YATES, WHARTON & CO.'S HAT FACTORY.
Yates, Wharton & Co.,
Are another firm, in Newark, who have attained celebrity in the manu-
facture of Fine Hats, and occupy extensive buildings on South Market
street.
Mr. Henry J. Yates commenced the business as a member of the
firm of Vail & Yates, in the year 1843. The specialties by which
they were most favorably known, were in the production of gentle-
men's Cassimere Hats, then coming into general use, and the attain-
ment of a high finish in the texture and colors of their goods. The
first to successfully reproduce the delicate shades of colors for which
the French fabricants had been for years famous, they soon won a high
position with the trade. By assiduous experimenting, and with their
growing knowledge of the chemical constituents of color, they were
able, in no long time, to so far improve the style and character of their
productions as to fully equal, if not surpass, the finest specimens of for.
eign manufacture, and to very largely reduce the importation of French
wares into this country.
A second improvement in the finish of Hat fabrics, now adopted gen-
erally by our manufacturers, was soon after borrowed from the French
by this enterprising house, it being the system of " pouncing," through
which a softer texture and purer surface were obtained in all varieties
of material.
In 1857, the firm of Vail & Yates was dissolved, and Mr. Yates
made his present prosperous connection with Mr. John Wharton, well
known as one of the most skilful of practical manufacturers, at that
time in the business. The energy and discrimination displayed by
the old Firm, were not wanting to the new one, Mr. Wharton's acces-
sion contributing, in a marked manner, to the prosperity of the busi-
ness, The careful regard to material and finish, with the special study
of chemical effects, was rather increased than neglected, and not only
tended to the profit of the establishment, but likewise to the advance-
ment of the national industry which was thus represented. In 1861,
the operations of the firm, by the growing demand for its specialties,
justified a move, of which the wisdom has been amply evidenced in the
greatly enlarged sale of their productions. This was the establishment
of a central depot in New York, through which the market could be
more directly and conveniently reached. The store of Yates. Whar-
ton & Co. is now at 130 Grand Street, New York, a part of the city
about which the hat trade seems to be congregating; and the business
is under the direction of Mr. William D. Yocom, the financial partner,
one of the most intelligent and enterprising men in the trade.
507


Go up to Top of Page