University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution : and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

The great iron works of the United States,   pp. 475-495

Page 494

naces, three heating furnaces, twenty-four nail machines, and one spike
machine,-driven by one horizontal engine twenty-four inch cylinder,
and six feet stroke. The capacity was then twenty-five hundred tons
per year. In 1847 the mill was enlarged and remodelled, and farther en-
larged in 1858, since which time additional enlargements and improve-
ments have been made, until now it is one of the most complete Roll-
ing mills in the country, with a capacity of five thousand tons a year.
Its products comprise Round, Square, and Flat Bar Iron, Flat Bar
Railroad Iron, Half Round and Oval Iron, Hoop, Band, and Scroll
Iron, Horse Shoe Iron, Rivet and Tank Iron, of the very best quality;
also the celebrated " Crescent" brand of Cut Nails and Spikes, Ship
and Railroad Spikes, and Boiler and Tank Rivets.
The TUBE MILL, is one of the most important features connected
with the Reading Iron-Works. It was erected in 1848, with a capacity
for manufacturing one million eight hundred thousand feet of Gas,
Steam and Water Tubing; and has been annually enlarged, until, at
present, it is capable of producing six million feet of wrought-iron gas,
steam and water tube, from one eighth inch to eight inches diameter;
and two and a half million feet of Lap-welded Boiler Flues, from one
to ten inches diameter. These Boiler Flues are made of the best Penn-
sylvania Refined Charcoal Iron.
Besides this mill, the company own the CAMDEN TOOL and TUBE.
WORKS, located in Camden, New Jersey. These works are adapted
to the manufacture of Wrought-iron Gas, Steam and Water Tubes, and
all kinds of Machines and Tools as well as Fittings, used in Steam and
Gas Fitting. The manufacture of these constitutes the chief business
prosecuted at these works. The capacity of this Tube Mill is about
two millions of feet per year.
THE READING FURNACE, owned by this company, was built in 1853
and 1854. The stack is fifty by fifty feet at base, and forty by forty
feet at top, forty-nine feet high, with boshes eighteen feet. The
capacity is about ten thousand tons of metal a year.
THE SCOTT FOUNDRY AND MACHINE SHOP went into operation in 1861,
and had been used until 1867 almost exclusively for the manufacture
of Ordnance and Projectiles for our own and foreign governments.
Guns weighing forty tons and of fifteen inch calibre have been cast
and finished here, and fitted up with carriages. The Air Furnaces have
a capacity of sixty tons of melted metal, the cupola furnaces of ten
tons. Within the last few years, the Foundry has been very exten-
sively employed in the manufacture of Car Wheels, and chilled and soft
Rolls for Rolling and Plate mills.
THE STEAM FORGE of this company, which has been in operation

Go up to Top of Page