University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution ; and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

The great iron works of the United States,   pp. 475-495


Page 481

THE M'CULLOUGH IRON COMPANY.
by machinery into a hoop, the ends welded, and the hoop again heated
and rolled for the first and only time by heavy and costly machinery,
to its true dimensions and finish.
The Works now comprise three charcoal furnaces, and two large
forges, with about forty thousand acres of land and all needed build-
ings. The President of the Company is JOuN A. WaurUT, EsQ., of
Philadelphia, and the Superintendent is R. H1. LEE, formerly of the
Fort Pitt Iron-Works at Pittsburgh.
At Allentown, are probably the most picturesque Iron Furnaces in
the United States. They consist of four stacks, two of them twelve
feet wide, and two sixteen feet; while three of them are forty-five feet
high, and the fourth fifty feet. They are owned by the ALLENTOWN IRON
COMIPANY.
At Phillipsburgh, are the furnaces of the TRENTON IRON COMPANY,
consisting of three stacks, being respectively twenty by fifty-five feet,
eighteen by forty-two, and twenty-two by fifty-five feet. The Rolling-
mill of this Company, at Trenton, is probably the largest single build-
ing in the United States, having three and a half acres enclosed under
one roof.
At Danville, Montour county, are the Works of WATERMAN &
BEAVER, where the first Railroad iron in this or any other country was
made by means of Anthracite coal. They consist of three Blast fur-
naces, two Rolling Mills, and a landed estate of three thousand acres
with three hundred tenement houses.
The McCullough Iron Company,
Whose Galvanizing Works in Philadelphia were noticed among the
remarkable manufactories of that city, have very important works in
Cecil county, Maryland, for the manufacture of Sheet Iron. They com-
prise five Rolling Mills, three of them being at North East, styled
respectively the NORTH EAST, the SHANNON and the STONY CHASE; the
fourth, about two miles north of Elkton, called the WEST AMWELL Mill,
and the fifth, the OCTORARO, at Rowlandsville, a village about five
miles North of Port Deposit.
Of these mills, four are driven by water power, and one, the largest,
a bar Mill, by steam power, where the bar is manufactured and pre-
pared for rolling into sheets. The latter operation is done by water
power.
They have also "a forge," with six refinery fires for the manufac-
ture of Charcoal Blooms, with what is termed a " run-out" fire, where
481


Go up to Top of Page