University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution : and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

The great iron works of the United States,   pp. 475-495


Page 479

THE CAMBRIA IRON WORKS.
inches by twenty-five feet long. During the late Rebellion, thirteen
hundred wrought-iron guns were made at these Works.
This establishment produces a greater variety of work than any other
in the country. In addition to their regular business of manufacturing
iron, the Company have lately erected a very extensive machine shop,
specially appropriated to framing, iron rafters, flooring, and bridge
work. This building is two hundred and six feet by ninety feet, and is
filled with tools and machinery of the latest improved styles suited to
the business. The manufacturing of wrought-iron columns and beams
for fireproof structures has become one of their great specialities, and
the framing for the roofs and floors of the new buildings lately erected
by the United States Government, at the Frankford and Alleghany
Arsenals, which are entirely fire-proof, was all made at the Phcnix
Iron Works.
This Company also possess three Blast furnaces, capable of turning
out about twenty-three thousand tons of pig-iron per annum. The
mills contain twenty-four heating and twenty-two double and twelve
single puddling furnaces.
The officers of the Company are as follows: DAvID REEVES, Presi-
dent, Phwnixville; SAMUEL J. REEVES, Vice President and Treasurer,
Philadelphia; ROBERT B. AERTSEN, Secretary, Philadelphia; GEORGE
H. SELLERS, General Superintendent, Phcenixville; GEORGE WALTERS,
Engineer, Phwnixville.
The Cambria Iron Works,
At Johnstown, Cambria County, Pennsylvania, are the largest manu-
facturers of Railroad iron in the country.
The company commenced the erection of the Works in 1853 ; but
becoming embarrassed for want of means before they were fully com-
pleted, made a lease of their entire property, in the spring of 1855, to
Wood, Morrell & Co. This firm not only carried out the original plans
of the company, but, during their lease, greatly enlarged the Works
and increased their capacity. In 1862, the Company was reorganized
-C. S. WooD of Philadelphia, President-with a capital of $1,500,000,
since which time it has carried on the business of mining and manu-
facturing under its charter. It owns about thirty thousand acres of
land-mostly mineral-has four large Blast furnaces, Rolling-mills,
Machine shop, Foundry, etc., with numerous dwelling houses for its
operatives. The original mill building was burned down in 1857, and
rebuilt the same year by the lessees-it is six hundred and twelve feet
479


Go up to Top of Page