University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution : and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of Taunton,   pp. 319-331


Page 328

MANUFACTURES OF TAUNTON.
nail rod with its attached plate vibrating freely within the guide tube.
The cutter having the width of a nail plate, is adjusted by screws to
the cutting block; the nail plate, lying between guides, rests on the
iron block and bears by the action of the weight (before mentioned)
against the face of the cutter. The vibratory motion of the latter is
effected by the aid of a crooked lever worked by means of an eccentric
on the main shaft ; the cutter block forming the short arm of this lover
has a short circular movement about their common centre. The lever,
cutter block, and the axle arms or trunnions upon which they work, are
all cast in one piece. The lever of the heading die is worked by a
crank pin and rod attached to a wheel on the main shaft. To prevent
the nail from falling from its place before the completion of the stroke,
a small pair of nippers, operated by means of a cam on the main shaft,
are placed below and in front of the cutter block. These are worked by
the rods. The working of the machine is as follows:
The nail plate rests against the frame of the cutter, the lover resting
on the point of the cam or eccentric ; as the latter revolves, the lever
falls, lifting the edge of the cutter above the cutting block, and also
above the nail plate ; the latter, by the action of the weight, is thrown
forward under the cutter to a, stop the width of the required nail. At
this point, by the revolution of the eccentric, the lever is raised which
lowers the edge of the cutter, shearing off a wedge-shaped strip of
metal having the length of the width of the nail plate. This is seized
at the same instant by the nippers below the cutter, and immediately
after the rod, by the action of its crank, raises the lover of the heading
die, and the nail is completed at a stroke. As the complete nail drops
from the opening nippers, the nail plate is advanced under the cutting
shears for another nail. In the factory of the Messrs. Field, shoe nail
machines are used which are provided with a self-feeding apparatus, by
which six plates are advanced to the cutter at one time without manual
assistance. These machines are the invention of William II. Field,
of Taunton, and the patent is owned by A. Field & Sons.
Nails and Tacks having been cut, require to be annealed, which
renders them more tough and somewhat malleable, and at the same
time imparts to them their rich blue color. This is done by heating
them hot in iron boxessin an oven, and leaving them to cool slowly.
The Messrs. Field have also ingenious machines for leathering carpet
tacks, which perform the work with extraordinary rapidity.
ALBERT FIELD, the senior proprietor of these Works, was born in
Norton, Massachusetts, July 4th, 1795. During the war of 1812, he
was employed at Sharon, Massachusetts, in the file manufactory of
the ingenious Seth Boyden, elsewhere alluded to. Shortly after be-
328


Go up to Top of Page