University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution ; and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufacturing centres of New England : Portland, Maine,   pp. 274-275


Page 275

MANUFACTURES OF LEWISTON AND BANGOR.
Next to Portland, the most important seat of manufactures in Maine
is LEWISTON. The water-power here, which is among the best in New
England, is owned by an association of capitalists called the " Franklin
Company," of which A. D. Lockwood is Agent, and Edwd. Atkinson,
Treasurer. This Company have also a Cotton Mill with 21,000 spin-
dles, and a Bleachery capable of bleaching six tons of goods per day.
The other principal cotton mills are the Bates Manufacturing Co.'s
Mills (Benjamin C. Bates, Treasurer, and D. M. Ayer, Agent)-capital
$800,000, spindles 36,000, looms 812; the Hill Manufacturing Co.'s
Mills (F. L. Richardson, Treasurer, and J. G. Coburn, agent)-capital
$1,000,000; the Androscoggin Mills, which have about 40,000 spindles
(A. D. Lockwood, Agent, C. Greene, Superintendent) ; the Porter Mill
(R. A. Budlong, Agent) ; and the Lincoln Mills. Flannels and Cassi-
meres are made by the Lewiston Falls Manufacturing Co. (S. Pickard,
Treasurer, and John M. Frye, Agent), and Bags by the Lewiston Bag-
ging Company, who manufacture about 2500 grain sacks daily. Machine
Cards are also made largely by J. Smith & Co., Bobbins and Spools by
J. G. Drew, and Roller Coverings by H. H. Dickey. The Flour Mills
of Bradley & Co. are probably the largest in the State. Besides these,
there are machine shops, and two or more extensive saw mills.
BANGOR, situated on the west bank of the Penobscot River, at the
head of sloop navigation, is principally noted for its extensive trade in
Lumber. The head waters of the Penobscot traverse immense forests
of pine, spruce, and hemlock, and its banks are lined with Saw Mills,
converting the logs into lumber, which is floated down to Bangor. The
principal industrial concerns of the city are therefore engaged in wood-
working, and include firms like Blunt & Hinman, Babb & Strickland,
Palmer & Johnson, Stetson & Co., Eddy, Murphy & Co., Morse & Co.,
John Dole, Watson Dyer, Paul D. Hartshorn, Oliver P. Merryman, and
the Furniture manufactories of John Carlisle, Albert Dole & Co., Dole
& Gilman, and George W. Merrill; the Barrel manufactories of Samuel
Doyen, Farris & Webb, Amos M. Roberts & Son, and E. II. & H. Rol-
ins. Carriages are made by Benjamin Adams, B. N. Thombs, and Whiton
& Yeaton, and Harnesses by Jona. Batchelder, Stanford T. Chase, Geo.
H. Chick, and John Williams & Son. There is also a manufactory of
steel Squares (Darling & Schwartz, proprietors), two of Stoves (Eastes &
Whittier and Isaac L. Johnson, proprietors), one of Saws (M. Schwartz,
proprietor), and of Axes (Jefferson Higgins, proprietor); and of Files
(Job Collett, proprietor); besides these, th-ere are two Machine Shops
(Muzzy, Franklin & Co. and Hinckley & Egery, proprietors); two Brass
foundries (Geo. T. Allamby and Jona. Burbank, proprietors); and several
manufactories of Clothing, Sails, Tinware, Confectionery, etc.
215


Go up to Top of Page