University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution ; and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of Buffalo,   pp. 266-273


Page 270

MANUFACTURES OF BUFFALO.
Recently Messrs. Pratt & Co. erected in Buffalo a very fine Blast
Furnace, and contemplate the erection of another. The city is indebted
to the enterprise of this firm for much of its present importance as a
manufacturing centre.
In 1862 another large Rolling Mill was built in connection with the
Blast Furnaces erected by Palmer & Wadsworth and Warren & Thomp-
son, whose establishments have been consolidated under the title of the
UNION IRON WORKS. The furnaces now in operation in Buffalo or in
course of erection will have a capacity sufficient to produce 50,000 tons
of Pig Iron annually. The ores are obtained from Northern Michigan.
The " Niagara Steam Forge," built by Charles Delaney in 1850, and
now owned by HENRY CHILDs, is fully equipped for fabricating masses
of wrought iron. This establishment has the capacity of turning out
$200,000 worth of work annually. Another forge is now in the course
of erection in Buffalo.
The manufacture of Machinery and Steam Engines is also largely
carried on in Buffalo, much more so than the returns of the census-
takers would lead one to suppose. The " Shepard Iron Works," for
instance, have a capital of $125,000, and their annual product must
amount to $200,000. The buildings of the works were erected in 1847,
and consist of a brick foundry and machine shop 120 feet square, and a
boiler shop adjoining 100 feet square. Here, in 1850, Mr. JOHN D.
SHEPARD built the machinery for the propeller " Buffalo," and attached
a screw propeller wheel of 16 feet in diameter, the shaft just touching
the water when the wheel was loaded to ten feet. Although a failure
was confidently and generally predicted, the experiment was entirely
successful, and the reputation of the elevated screw propeller wheel es-
tablished. Here too have been built several of the very best steam
engines on the Lakes, and the boilers of some of the largest passenger
boats, as for instance those of the "Southern Michigan," "Northern
Indiana," " Crescent City," " Queen of the West," " St. Lawrence," and
others. In addition to the manufacture of machinery for steamboats and
propellers, the Shepard Iron Works make all kinds used in Saw and
Flouring mills.
The " Buffalo Furnace," George W. Tifft owner, and J. N. Tift & Co.
lessees, and the Eagle Iron Works of Dunbar & Howell, are also ex-
tensively engaged in building Engines and Boilers; while MASON &
BIDWELL have every facility for building vessels of the largest size.
This firm and their predecessors have built Steamers, Propellers, Brigs
and Schooners that have an aggregate tonnage of at least 50,000 tons.
Some of the finest craft on the Lakes, and strongest steamers ever con-
structed, were built at the shipyards of this firm.
270


Go up to Top of Page