University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution ; and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of Troy,   pp. 249-257


Page 257

THE SCHENECTADY LOCOMOTIVE WORKS.
The Schenectady Locomotive Works,
Located between the New York Central Railroad and the Eric Canal,
is the principal manufacturing establishment in Schenectady, and en-
titled to rank among the most important of a similar class of works in
the Unitod States. The buildings comprise an Eecting and Machine
Shop two hundred and fifty by seventy-five feet, two stories high-a
Blacksmith Shop two hundred and fifty by fifty feet-a Boiler Shop
one hundred and forty by forty feet-an Iron Foundry one h1uindred by
fifty-a Carpenter and Pattern Shop, two stories high, eighty by forty
feet-a Brass Foundry and Paint Shop, fifty-three by twenty-eight
feet-a Round House eighty-five by fifty fect-a Store House, two
stories, forty by thirty feet-and a three-story Office forty-three by forty
feet. The buildings are nearly all of brick ; and although they cover
a large area of ground, are so connected by railroad tracks that the
transportation, on light trucks, of even the heavy parts, is exceedingly
easy. The Machine, Boiler, and Erecting Shops are new, having been
erected since June 26th, 1866, when the former shops were destroyed
by fire, and are provided with a complete stock of new tools of modern
patterns.
The original Works were erected in 1848, by a company who dis-
continued their business in about a year. In 1851, John Ellis, D. D.
Campbell, and Simon C. Groot, purchased them at about one half
their original cost, and formed a new company, which was incor-
porated under the title of " The Schenectady Locomotive Works."
During their administration, large additions were made to the build-
ings and machinery, and the business prospered greatly. Mr. Ellis,
who was the active manager, proved to be a gentleman of more than
ordinary business capacity, and of much personal worth.  le was
born in Garmouth, Scotland, December 13th, 1795, and came to the
United States in 1814. le became a contractor of some of the most
important works in the country, among them the MeAdamized road
between Albany and Troy; the Albany and Schenectady Railroad;
the Utica and Schenectady Railroad ; the Boston and Worcester Rail-
road ; the Croton Water Works; and, in 1851, took possession of the
Locomotive Works. Since his decease, October 4th, 1864, the Works
have been owned by his sons and Walter McQueen, who superintended
the mechanical department under the former administration. The pres-
ent management is-JOHN C. ELLIS, President; CHARLES G. ELLIS,
Treasurer; and WALTER MCQUEEN, Superintendent. About five hun.
dred hands are employed in the Works, which are now prepared to
turn out from five to six Locomotives of the largest class per month.
257


Go up to Top of Page