University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution ; and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of Troy,   pp. 249-257


Page 254

REMARKABLE MANUFACTORIES IN TROY.
The Rennselaer Iron Works
Are another of the prominent iron manufacturing establishments located
in the sixth ward of the city of Troy. They are situated on the banks
of the Hudson River, and comprise a main building 430 feet in length
by 150 in width, with machine and blacksmiths' shop, etc., adjacent.
There are 14 puddling furnaces and 13 heating furnaces, which to-
gether consume about 10,000 tons of bituminous and 15,000 tons of
anthracite coal per annum. About 6000 tons of pig iron and 14,000
tons of old rails are annually used in these works and converted into
railroad bars and merchant iron, which are the principal products. A
machine for finishing locomotive tires is run in connection with the rail
mill. The machinery is propelled by an upright low-pressure engine of
365 horse power.
The works were originally erected by the Troy Rolling Mill Company
in 1846, and were reorganized by the present proprietors, the Reniiselaer
Iron Company, in 1853. The Hon. John A. Griswold, now a Repre-
sentative in Congress from the Troy district, is President of the Com-
pany, and George Babcock, Esq., Superintendent. About 450 men are
employed in the works.
E. A. & G. R. Meneely's Bell Foundry,
Situated in West Troy, is the most extensive and noteworthy manu-
factory of the kind in the United States. It was founded by Andrew
Meneely, the father of the present proprietors, in 1826, since which time
thousands of Bells have been sent out from this foundry into every State
and Territory of the Union, and to nearly every part of the world.
During the last ten years, the number cast annually has averaged 600,
of an average weight of 500 pounds-and among them were some
weighing 12,000 pounds.
Bells are formed by casting an alloy of copper and tin in moulds pre-
pared for the purpose. The usual proportion is four parts of copper to
one of tin. The method of moulding conducted in this foundry is a
very great improvement upon the old system. A mould consists of a
hollow space the exact form and dimensions of the bell to be cast. Two
separate hollow iron cases, shaped like a bell, and of a size to cor-
respond with the casting to be obtained, are employed to form a mould.
Their sides are full of small perforations or vent holes. One case is
made smaller than the other, and forms the core for the inside-the
254


Go up to Top of Page