University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution ; and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of Troy,   pp. 249-257


Page 250

THE ALBANY IRON WORKS.
REMARKABLE MANUFACTORIES IN TROY.
The Albany Iron Works-Corning, Winslow & Co., Proprietors.
In 1819, John Brinckerhoff, then an enterprising iron merchant of
Albany, erected on the Hudson River, now in the sixth ward of the
City of Troy, a small Foundry and Rolling Mill, for converting Russia
and Swede iron bars into plates. These plates were afterward cut par-
tially into nails, each nail being headed by hand. This business he con-
ducted successfully for several years, and the works, though small and
insignificant compared with their present extent, were creditable to theii
founder, and among the first then in existence in the State of New York.
From Brinckerhoff they were transferred to Corning & Norton, and sub-
sequently to the present proprietors, Corning, Winslow & Co., who have
enlarged them until they now rank among the most extensive in the
United States.
The works at present include three distinct rolling mills-one a large
steam mill, containing 18 puddling furnaces, with a corresponding num-
ber of heating furnaces, five steam engines, one large Nasmyth hammer,
two drawing-out hammers, four complete trains of rollers, Winslow's
rotary squeezer with shears, roller lathes, wrought railroad-chair ma-
chinery, and other appurtenances ; the whole within a brick building
365 feet long by 145 feet wide, covered with an iron-trussed roof. The
second is a new forge and rolling mill, built in 1855. It is of brick, in
the form of a cross, the greatest width and length being respectively
173 and 163 feet, and the wings 53 feet wide. This mill has an iron-
trussed roof covered with slates. There are three chinney stacks, each
65 feet high, and each drawing from six puddling furnaces, making 18
puddling furnaces under this roof. The third rolling mill is wiorked by
two water-wheels of great power, and contains three complete trains
of rollers, with appropriate furnaces, and one steel converting furnace
within a brick building 265 feet long by 119 feet wide. There are like-
wise upon the premises, and driven by water-power, a carriage-axle
factory, 60 feet by 40; a spike factory, for making railroad, boat, and
ship spikes, and boiler rivets ; and a nail factory. Both of these latter
branches of business are carried on within a brick building 300 feet long
by 35 feet wide, and operated by a water-wheel 30 feet in diameter, the
water-power being furnished by the " Wynantskill," affording a fall of
about sixty-five feet, divided by three dams into as many successive
falls. All the buildings of this fine establishment are of brick, with
250


Go up to Top of Page