University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution ; and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of Albany,   pp. 240-248


Page 247

ALBANY DISTILLERTES.
McCulloch, who for many years conducted a heavy business. After
various changes the Browery was rented until 1850, when the present
firm engaged in the business. The buildings, which had been added to
from time to time, and now front on four streets, Green, Arch, Franklin
and Perry, the length on Arch Street being 321 feet, are large and
conveniently arranged, having the malt house in the same building,
which obviates the expense of carting, and there is abundance of room
for receiving and storing empty casks.
The other principal Brewers in Albany are John McKnight & Son,
Armsdell Brothers, Anthony McQuade, James Quin, and Becker &
Cameron.
There are also several firms engaged extensively in Malting, the prin-
cipal being John G. White & Son, John Tweddle, and A. A. Dunlop.
John G. White, who is also the President of the Bank of the Capitol,
and the oldest in the business, has two malt houses, and supplies largely
the brewers in Philadelphia, where so much malt is used, besides those
in other cities.
Mr. Tweddle commenced the manufacture of malt in West Chester,
Pennsylvania, many years ago, and removed to Albany in 1838. While
the brewers in the principal cities from Portsmouth to Baltimore, as well
as those in the interior, obtain Malt from his extensive malt house, his
sales are chiefly in New York City.
Mr. Dunlop is the son of Robert Dunlop, a well-known brewer fifty
years since, and was himself a brewer. His extensive establishment is
in the adjoining town of Watervliet, and here he supplies brewers in
New York and other principal Atlantic cities. Mr. Dunlop is also ex-
tensively engaged in brewing at West Troy.
There are two large DISTILLERIES in Albany, one of which, that of
Edson & Co., distils from the grain ; the other, that of John Tracey
& Co., is devoted to rectifying liquors and making alcohol. Besides
these there are a number of smaller rectifying establishments.  The
value of the yearly product varies with the price, but the average is
nearly two million dollars.
The Distillery of Edson & Co., erected in 1849, consumed for a year
or two but 450 bushels of grain per day. In 1851 a small column was
erected for the manufacture of alcohol, capable of running 600 gallons
per day. That small amount was then ample for the supply of the trade,
indeed it required an effort to dispose of it. As the demand increased,
another column was in 1853 added to the works, capable of running 800
gallons daily. In 1855 and 1856 the Distillery was enlarged so as to
consume 900 bushels of grain per day. While superintending the start-
217


Go up to Top of Page