University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution ; and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of Albany,   pp. 240-248


Page 245

ALBANY BREWERIES.
connection with Mr. John Taylor founded the firm of Fiddler & Taylor
in 1822.
At the present time the largest Brewery in the United States-is that
of John Taylor's Sons, of Albany. It is located in the square bounded
by Broadway, Ferry and Arch Streets and the Hudson River, and
covers about two acres of ground-the main building being 200 by 80
feet, and six stories high. Adjoining the main building on the river
front is a fire-proof storehouse seventy by forty feet square, and seven
stories high. In this building elevators are erected which convey the
grain from boats on the river to the bins on the top floor of the brewery
at the rate of one thousand bushels per hour. Between Ferry Street
and the main building fronting on Broadway, is a two-story edifice 200
by 50 feet, a large portion of which is used for coopcring, cleansing, and
steaming casks and barrels. The steaming apparatus was imported from
Europe, and is probably one of the most effective ever built. After
placing a row of barrels in position, the steam is driven completely
through the staves, an inch in thickness, in ten minutes after its appli-
cation. On the main story the front of this building is occupied by the
counting-house and private office of the proprietors. In the upper
story is a fire-proof apartment, fifty feet square, which contains a most
valuable library of over ten thousand volumes-a rare feature in business
establishments of this description.  On the Broadway front of the
Brewery is a tower, the top of which is one hundred and thirty feet
above the level of the street, and which contains a clock with glass dials
six feet in diameter, that are illuminated nightly.
The apparatus and equipments of this Brewery are of the most per-
fect description, and it has the capacity to produce over two hundred
thousand barrels per annum. Previous to its erection in 1850, the
senior of this firm visited Europe and made drawings of the most im-
portant improvements which he saw in the London Breweries.    The
pontoon apparatus for cleansing and refining the ale, consisting of three
hundred and sixty-five large cedar vessels, with floats so arranged as to
open and shut the valves, the liquor being always at the same height,
independent of the flow of yeast in the receiving troughs, is as yet a
novelty in American breweries. Connected with this establishment are
five large Malt houses, in which they malt all their own barley.
Within the year 1863 the senior partner and founder of this firm
died, highly esteemed and regretted-and also another of the part-
ners, Edmund B. Taylor, of the Boston branch-leaving the man-
agement to the two remaining sons, Joseph B. Taylor, of New York
City, and William H. Taylor, of Albany. They have a capital of nearly
a half million of dollars invested in the business.
245


Go up to Top of Page