University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution ; and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of Albany,   pp. 240-248


Page 241

THE ALBANY STOVE FOUNDRIES,
The Albany Stove Foundries.
Albany and Troy have long been prominent centres for the manufac-
ture of Stoves. The business as at first conducted, consisted in simply
putting together the castings which were made at other places, generally
St blast furnaces in New Jersey, near Philadelphia. The early castings
were of great thickness, and, compared with those of the present day,
were rough and imperfect.
Besides the well-known Franklin stove, for parlors, the first made was
a box-stove, and then the oblong plate stoves, such as are yet in use to
some extent for heating school houses aud churches.      The first advance
toward a Cooking Stove was making the last-named with an oven ; and
the first that deserves the name of a Cooking Stove was an oblong affair
having an oven running the whole length, the door of which was in front
and directly over the door for supplying fuel-and having also a boiler-
hole and boiler on the back part of the top near the pipe.         Then, a
stove similar in arrangement, with swelling or elliptical sides, was made,
generally called the nine plate stove, but in Albany and Troy it was
known as the Philadelphia stove.
About the year 1812, cooking stoves were made at Hudson from
patterns made by a Mr. Hoxie, who was the first to elevate the fire-box
above the bottom. This improvement was patented, and was sustained
in suits against parties who in any way elevated the fire from the bottom.
In Iloxie's cooking stove the fire was made above and upon the oven,
and lie was the first who made any stove in which the flame was made
to descend from the top to the bottom of the oven.
& Co., who have been established there since 1849. They are the successors of A. & W.
C. Wheeler, originally established at Chatham, New York, and who, it is said, built the
first successful railroad, or endless chain horse-power of single gear, now so extensively
used in driving threshing machines and sawing wood for railroads. It was patented in
1836. The firm at the present time have very extensive works, provided with all the
most approved labor-saving machines, including some which are not in use in other simi.
lar manuffictories. A mortising machine, invented by one of the firm, has, it is believed,
no superior for rapid and effective work. Their manufactures include, besides the usual
agricultural machines, a number of special and patented articles in extensive demand.
Their Comibined Threeher and Winnower is one of the best agricultural machines ever in-
vented, and that it is appreciated by the farming interest is evidenced by the fact that it
has been sold in nearly every Stato in the Union, including California and Oregon.
The manufacture of Tile for draining land is carried on largely in Albany. The sta-
tistics of this branch have evidently been underrated by the census-takers. The "Albany
Drain-Tile Works," of which C. & W. McCAMMON are proprietors, is probably the largest
of its kind in the United States. All descriptions of Drain Tile are made by them, in-
cliding round tile from 11 to 21 inches, horseshoe tile from 24 to 71 inches rise, and sole
tile from 2 to 6 inebes rise. This is a very important and well-conducted establishment.
Q4O


Go up to Top of Page