University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution ; and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of Paterson,   pp. 222-236


Page 233

MANUFACTURES OF PATERSON.
BARBOUR BROTHERs, New York city, who in 1864 determined to estab-
lish a branch of the manufactory here, and selected Paterson as the site,
where they purchased land and fitted up buildings for the purpose.
Their principal mill is now a stone structure, one hundred by forty feet,
five stories in height, of which the first three stories are used for pre-
paring and spinning the flax, which is imported. In these rooms there
are all the different machines necessary for the complicated process of
spinning, and they combine all the recent improvements.
The raw material is first taken into the lower stories, and from
thence ascending, undergoing the various processes of manufacture
till it reaches the top floor, when it is ready for market. Although
those operations occupy comparatively little space, the quantity of work
turned out (the machinery being of such improved and perfect con-
struction) is very considerable.
All the Shoe Thread is papered and packed, and the Machine Thread
spooled and labelled, in a three-story wooden building adjacent. Here,
also, is a printing office, in which all the lithographic printing required
for labels is performed.
Besides these, the firm have also a large Dye-house, one hundred by
thirty feet, a new brick building one hundred by twenty in which the
offices are located, twenty-four tenement houses for operatives, and
other landed estate.
These Works are located near the Falls, and use water-power,
which, being unlimited, can be made available to any extent that the
constantly-increasing consumption of the country requires.
All the Flax used in these mills is grown in Ireland, where long ex-
perience in this branch of industry has given the people a peculiar
aptitude in the pursuit, and about one fourth of the operatives now
employed were brought over from Ireland, where they had acquired a
thorough knowledge of the business.
In 1865, the "American Velvet Company," which had been pro-
viously established at Newark, erected in Paterson a large brick
factory two hundred by forty-five feet, three stories high, and equipped
it with machinery imported from England, for weaving velvets, hat
plushes, foulards, and pongees. The Company spin the silk out of
pierced cocoons, imported at present from France and Japan, though
California promises soon to furnish an adequate supply of this impor-
tant product. This is the first attempt to manufacture on a large scale
Silk Velvets in this country, and judging by the specimens of its pro-
ductions, excellent in quality and brilliant in dye, is likely to be suc-
cessful.
100
238 *


Go up to Top of Page