University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution : and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of Baltimore,   pp. 113-118


Page 115

HAYWARD, BARTLETT & CO.'s FOUNDRY.
plied not only many of the private and public buildings of Baltimore,
but the Treasury building in Washington, and the Custom-houses in
Portland, Mc., in Buffalo, N. Y., and New York city. The size of the
establishment and its adaptability furnish conveniences for the prosecu-
tion of all these different branches without conflict, as each department
has its foreman and distinct set of workmen, from the Pattern shop to
the Japanning and Gilding rooms.
In 1803, they assumed control of the extensive Works widely known
as " Winans' Locomotive Works."  They were established by Ross
Winans, Esq., who removed to the city of Baltimore in 1830, and
entered the employ of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad-which then
extended only to Ellicott's Mills-as Assistant Engineer. In 1835,
he commenced the manufacture of machinery under the patronage
of that road, and in 1838 founded these Works. Commencing with
the manufacture of Chilled Cast-iron Wheels, he gradually extended
his business until it embraced the construction of Locomotives, and,
up to 1850, he had furnished the Roads in this section with over two
hundred first class freight engines, known as the " Camel."
These Works adjoin the shops of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad
Company, and now occupy an area of four acres of ground, more than
half of which is under one roof. The Boiler shop, in which from
sixty to seventy hands are usually employed, has capacity for building
twelve boilers at once.  Adjoining this is the room for fitting up
wheels and placing them under frames, and immediately adjacent,
another for making Water Tanks. Then follow the Pattern Makers' and
Carpenters' shops, in which some twenty-five hands are employed.
Next are the Foundry and Smiths' shop, which contains forty-three
forges, trip-hammers, and furnaces, with every other facility requi-
site for making frames, axles, and other heavy forgings. In this one
hundred and fifty hands are ordinarily employed. But probably the
most attractive feature of the establishment is the Machine shop, with
its varied machinery, all moved by two powerful engines-this is large
enough to furnish accommodations for two hundred and fifty workmen.
Adjoining the Machine shop is a systematically arranged Storeroom
for finished work, which connects with the Erecting shop, where a
corps of mechanics set up the work as it comes from the different
departments, after which it is rolled forward on railway tracks to the
Paint shop.
* The establishment has tools and shops sufficient to accommodate a
thousand workmen, as many as eight hundred having been employed
at one time. The present proprietors have changed the name to " The
Baltimore Locomotive Works," added some of the best modern ma-
11.5


Go up to Top of Page