University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution ; and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of Norwich,   pp. 447-448


Page 447

MANUFACTURES OF NORWICH.
MANUFACTURES OF NORWICH.
NoRwICH, situated in New London County, at the head of navigation
on the Thames River, formed by the confluence of the Yantic and
Shetucket, had in 1860, according to the Census Returns, 146 manu-
facturing establishments, with an aggregate capital of $2,498,300, em-
ploying 1,674 male and 1,398 female hands, yielding products valued at
$4,686,972. About one-fourth of this amount was in Denims, Ticks and
Stripes, made principally at the factories of the Falls Company and the
Shetucket Company-each of which has a capital of $500,000-William
P. Greene being President, and Gardner Greene, Secretary, of both
companies. At five woolen mills, Flannels, Cassimeres and Worsted
goods were made to the amount of $744,800, while Hosiery was made
at one manufactory to the amount of $75,000. The Norwich Bleaching
and Callendering Company employed 52 men and 12 women, and pro-
duced a value of $150,000. Paper has long been a prominent article in
the manufacture of this place. The first paper manufactured in Con-
necticut was made in Greenville, now a part of Norwich, where are now
the extensive mills of the Chelsea Manufacturing Company (E. G.
Bartow, President, and T. Bartow, Secretary), which has a capital of
$200,000 employed in making Printing Paper.
The manufactures of Iron are also important. Machinery and Cast-
ings were made at seven establishments to the amount of $535,000,
including Springs, Axles, and Paper Machinery made by Samuel Mow-
rey to the amount of $60,000, and including Auger Bits made by
Charles B. Converse & Co. The Sterry Faucet Company manufactured
Faucets, Cocks and Valves, to the amount of $30,000. There are also
two manufactories of Firearms-the Bacon Manufacturing Company
(John W. Stedman, President, D. P. Coon, Treasurer), and the Nor-
wich Arms Company (A. 11. Almy, President, and W. H1. Tingley,
Treasurer). The latter company have now one of the largest private
Armories in the United States. They are manufacturing about 1200
Muskets, 3,000 Bayonets, and 2,000 Locks, besides Rifles and Carbines,
per week. They are sole manufacturers of a new breech-loading Rifle
invented by Armstrong & Taylor, of Augusta, Kentucky, which is said
to be a very superior and effective weapon.
Probably no firm in Norwich has done as much to make the town
known abroad as Richardson & Co., manufacturers of Dr. Sweet's Lini-
ment. This physician was most remarkable for his skill as a bone-setter,
and a preparation made in accordance with his prescription has been
advertised by this firm wherever newspapers ar3 printed.
447


Go up to Top of Page