University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution ; and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of Concord,   pp. 453-454


Page 453

MANUFACTURES OF CONCORD.
MANUFACTURES OF CONCORD.
CONCORD, the capital of the State of New Hampshire, is distinguished
principally as an industrial centre, for its manufactories of carriages and
wagons. In 1860 there was a capital invested in this manufacture of
$294,000, employing 311 men, whose production for that year was
8159,945. It is probable that the annual average product is consider-
ably more than this. The firms engaged in the business in 1860 were
J. S. & E. A. Abbott,' Lewis Downing & Sons, J. T. Blodgett, James
Butters, Benjamin Coffin, William Crockett, Samuel M. Griffin, and David
Pearson, and Warde & Humphrey, whose shops were at Fisherville.
The Iron and Stove foundries of J. D. Cooper & Co., and W. P. & T.
H. Ford, employed 53 men, and produced a value of $115,400. The
Messrs. Ford, proprietors of the " Concord Iron Foundry," also manufac-
ture ploughs, harrows, cultivators, and other agricultural implements.
Among the special articles made by them are Harrow and Cultivator
Teeth, so formed that they can be chilled, which peculiarly adapts them
for sward land; and, as many practical farmers have certified, they pul-
verize the soil more effectually than any other implement of husbandry in
use.
Melodeons and Seraphines are made by the firms of Prescott Brothers,
and Liscom, Dearborn & Co. The church Seraphines made here, with
double reeds, costing from $125 to $150, are especially suitable for small
churches. The firm of Liscom, Dearborn & Co. also manufacture Piano
Fortes, and have attained more than a local reputation in this branch.
Boots and shoes are made by nine firms to the amount of $110,000, and
Lasts by J. L. Jackson to the amount of $10,000. Men's half-hose are
made by B. F. & D. Holden, and worsted goods by T. H. Brown. These
firms in 1860 employed 53 hands, and manufactured to the amount of
$77,900. Concord has also manufactories of Brooms, Carriage Springs,
Gloves, Palm Leaf Hats, Essential Oils, Ground Plaster, Soap and Can- -
dles, Spokes and Hubs, and several saw and planing mills. In West
(1) The works and lumber-yards of the Messrs. ABBOTT occupy about four acres of
ground. They commenced business in Concord in 1828, and since then have built
every description of vehicle from a wheelbarrow to a coach, including express
wagons, circus wagons, stage coaches, monkey and lion cages for peripatetic mena-
geries. They recently built four leviathan coaches for Australia, six feet four inches
between the wheels, designed to carry thirty-two passengers, and a large number of
mail-wagons for the Pacific Mail Company and the Overland Mail Transportation
Company. About one-fourth of all the wagons they make are exported to the Cana-
das, Mexico, South America, Australia, and Europe.


Go up to Top of Page