back to home
(madison icon)1902

For years Hiram Smith of Sheboygan Falls, so well known to all Wisconsin dairymen, and for twelve years a regent of the university, had been pushing for a dairy school. The discovery of the Babcock milk test had awakened renewed interest in dairy matters throughout the state and attracted attention to the university and inspired some confidence in our constituents. The winter of 1901 found us teaching seventy dairy pupils in the little frame dairy building at the farm called "the Dairy School building." That year the legislature, shocked to see young men working in such cramped, unsatisfactory quarters, gave us the splendid dairy building which was erected the following summer and occupied January 1, 1892. We planned the dairy building to accommodate one hundred creamery and cheese factory students, and nearly twice that many farm dairy students. We have never been able to accommodate all of those applying for creamery and cheese factory instruction--every year we have been forced to turn away some applicants. In all there have been trained at our dairy school about twelve hundred creamery and cheese factory operators, and about half of this number are at this time actively engaged in the manufacture of butter and cheese in this state.

Hiram Smith

Babcock Milk Tester

First Dairy School

In the dairy lecture room

Pasteurizer in a creamery