back to home
(madison icon)1902

The cause that led to the organization was a kind of general dissatisfaction among both the friends and the enemies of the University. With the return of the soldiers, with the broadening of our national life, with the increase of material wealth, the people felt that if the University had really come to stay, it should at least have a fair chance. And in 1866 the institution was reorganized on lines so liberal and wise that the fundamental law will probably remain to the end unchanged. The reorganization completed; now for men and equipment. Paul A. Chadbourne, of the Massachusetts Agricultural College, and former professor of Williams College, was called to the presidency. He declined because the legislature had in the act of reorganization declared for co-education. The legislature, however, at the request of the regents, modified the act, leaving the degree and amount of co-education to the judgment of the regents. Dr. Chadbourne then accepted. An entire new faculty was chosen, with the single exception of Professor Sterling, and the institution was swung slowly around on its new course. Doctor Chadbourne was not great as a specialist, but learned along many lines, and was an admirable teacher. He lifted the University at once to new dignity. The Legislature grew friendly. Additional income was provided. Ladies' Hall was built. In 1871 President Chadbourne resigned on account of ill health. The impulse, however, had been given, and men might come and men might go, but the University was to go on forever.

Ladies' Hall

Mr. and Mrs. Landry in old Ladies Hall dining room

Miss Mayhew with Bobbie