BEFORE SOUTH WING WAS ADDED; The third University building to be constructed. Completed in 1859, but frequently thereafter materially changed internally; a new portico, a new dome, and a south wing as large as itself, were added in 1897-99; a corresponding north wing is contemplated for the near future.
Thwaites, Reuben Gold. The University of Wisconsin: Its History and its Alumni. Madison: J. N. Purcell, 1900. p.69