Union troops seen at Lawler Hall which was used as a U. S. military hospital during the Civil War. It was originally the Brisbois Hotel, erected in 1857. After the war John Lawler, who then had the title to it, gave it for use as a beginning for a College of Prairie du Chien, which failed. After that, it changed hands until the Jesuits were successful in establishing Campion College in 1880. After 1955 it was abandoned as unsafe.